Community Based Disaster Risk Reduction Training Program in Vaavu Fulidhoo
The training was a 5 days programme which covered the following aspects.
Number of participants: 48 Participants
Activity time: 06 August 2016 - 11 August 2016
Training Facilitators: Sergeant Mohamed Vishal, Corpral Mohamed Shuhaan Ahmed and Corpral Hassan
- Introduction to Disaster Management and disaster Risk of Maldives- participants were familiarized with disaster management terminologies and concepts. In addition this section also covers history and disaster Risk profileof Maldives and linkages of disasters to development.
- Introduction of CBDRM and VCA- participants were introduced to concepts of CBDRM and how to conduct the VCA using various tools.
- DM plan formulation: using the information collected through the VCA, participants formulated Disaster management plan for the island. It consisted of Disaster Mitigation plan and Disaster Response plan.
- Community Emergency Response Team formation: Training participants were divided into teams. Total of seven teams were formed 3-4 members in each team.
- Emergency drill conducted for a hazard that is most prone to the Island community
Outcome of The Event
- Disaster Management Plan was prepared by the participants, consultations were made with the Community, the finding of the VCA was validated by a community consultation session open for community members.
- Increased Awareness among the community relating to disasters
- Selection of 2 focal points that would be in-charge of the DM unit. Both the focal points were Civil service staffs working in Council
- Standing Committee for the Disaster Management Unit was formed in the island. Decision making body from each Sector in the island was included in the committee
- Community Emergency Response Teams in the island were formulated.
- Emergency drill conducted with active participation from different sector and community.